Amy's Adventures in Darfur

I started this blog when I left for Darfur in June 2006. I was working as a midwife with MSF aka "Medecins Sans Frontiers" aka "Doctors without Borders" but this blog contains my own opinions and stories- not those of MSF. It is less political than I want it to be and I have been unable to post stories about certain topics due to the fact that this is on the internet and accessible to anyone. I wish I could tell you all of the stories but since I can't, I will tell you the ones that I can...

Thursday, August 31, 2006

A few places to donate

Hello again, Melissa here.
Many of you have asked how you can help. I don't know what the best thing to suggest is, but I did discover that you can make donations through World Vision's online catalogue to the children of Darfur. I know that Amy does most of her birthday and Christmas shopping in their catalogue. If you have a birthday or special occasion coming up you could request that people give a donation in your name instead of a present. The website is www.worldvision.ca and the link for the Darfur donation is https://www1.worldvision.ca/CampaignsSecDM2.nsf/sudan?OpenForm&id=03368750

Also, I was sent this by someone on Amy's email list, it has some great information about where to donate:

Here is the link to the World Food Program (they are responsible for most of the food aid in the world and operate at only 10% overhead which is why many people have not even heard of them!) and MSF's donation page.

www.wfp.org

http://www.msf.ca/donate/waystogive.htm

People often get turned off different organizations because of the actions of a few unscrupulous individuals. The big ones have excellent websites these days which allow people to see what they do and where their money goes. The Reliefweb has links to all the organizations so people can check them out. The other thing about this link is that it is an excellent site for staying on top of all the latest in humanitarian issues. On their opening page it says it 'Serves the needs of the humanitarian community'. It is the site I try and get my students to stay on top of as the first step in helping others is awareness of the problems. Everything is here - news, agencies, volunteer opportunities, so feel free to pass this on to others.

www.reliefweb.int


Judy

Have a great day and keep a good thought for our girl and the people she is there to help.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey

there is also a link on www.thehungersite.com that give away foot in dafar every time someone clicks on it. it also has links to donate money and info about how to become invoved in the mercy core, which is out in dafar. just click on the crisis in dafur off the home page

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home