Amy's Adventures in Darfur

I started this blog when I left for Darfur in June 2006. I was working as a midwife with MSF aka "Medecins Sans Frontiers" aka "Doctors without Borders" but this blog contains my own opinions and stories- not those of MSF. It is less political than I want it to be and I have been unable to post stories about certain topics due to the fact that this is on the internet and accessible to anyone. I wish I could tell you all of the stories but since I can't, I will tell you the ones that I can...

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Awareness

this is an email i just sent....

hi everyone, i think this is the biggest group email i have ever sent- but this issue is big enough that i am sending this to every person whose email address i have ever known in the hope that all of you will do the same and that eventually it will reach every email inbox in existence. many of you haven't heard from me in years, if ever, and i'm sorry for falling out of touch. i'm writing now because, as many of you know, i have just returned from spending 5 months in Darfur and i have returned to a continent that seems shamefully unaware of what is happening there right now. when i came through immigration upon returning to Canada i was asked (by two separate people) if i had been in Darfur "on vacation". i cannot believe that in this day and age, with the means of communication we have at our disposal, people can be so unaware of the biggest humanitarian crisis in the world today. it wasn't until i spent the last few days at home that i realized how this could be true. i have seen such minimal news coverage on the subject that all i want to do is cry. last year there was 29X more news coverage on michael jackson and 12X more news coverage on tom cruise than there was on Darfur. i am begging you, on my knees, to educate yourselves on what is happening there right now and then, in turn, to educate others. i encourage you to google Darfur and read the many articles that have been written and apparently rarely read. the people of Darfur are suffering in ways that you and i can never fathom and it is time that we, the blessed few, were aware of it.

with gratitude, Amy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy. Reading your blog from Dublin on a sunny Snday morning and just wanted to say thanks. I also spent 8 months in Darfur earlier this year and so much of what you said (the non medical stuff anyway) resonated and struck a chord. Stay angry at how litle people know and keep your spirits high. Great to read your blog. Mags

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy,
thank you for the time you spent in Darfur. You risked your life to help others and to learn first hand what is going on. I have been following the news for some time and I don't have a place, a file for such a horrific situation. I share your frustration with the lack of awareness. I forget who said it, but "an unexamined life is not worth living" How many people live without examinimg anything? I feel that frustration too. How on earth can you be conscious and NOT know about what is going on in Darfur? If it's happening to one of us, in some way it's happening to ALL of us. Please keep sharing your wisdom even when it feels like no one gets it or no one truly cares. Your mission is important and you have stepped into it with courage and grace. I admire that.You are leading by example.

J

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy
I know this is a very late comment
but i am the moderator of dwb community in facebook
ilove uir blog
as a matter of fact i ewwanna work wid dwb
unfortunatekly i am nt into medicene
i am gona start a course in international public health.

just wanted to let you know and thank you for the work that your doing for making a betr future foe our people
i wd also like to thank the other ppl who have worked and are a part of the pics u have taken
bye

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home