Amy's Adventures in Darfur

I started this blog when I left for Darfur in June 2006. I was working as a midwife with MSF aka "Medecins Sans Frontiers" aka "Doctors without Borders" but this blog contains my own opinions and stories- not those of MSF. It is less political than I want it to be and I have been unable to post stories about certain topics due to the fact that this is on the internet and accessible to anyone. I wish I could tell you all of the stories but since I can't, I will tell you the ones that I can...

Saturday, September 30, 2006

people who rule

i just got this in an email from my friend, aviva. it's just one more example of the small things we can do that can change the world one heart at a time.....

"there is a young girl that goes to the youth group that i volunteer at, she is from sierra leon and has been here for two years and is sooo cute. i always see her dancing and singing and so i asked her a while ago if she takes dancing classes. she said no quietly, she does not have the money for anything like that. so, the next time i went to the YMCA, which is where i go to the gym i asked the woman in charge if there was any way that they would sponsor her and i explained them her story. they said, 'absolutely'!
so today i took her to get registered for the hip hop class. i took her up to the dance studio to show her where to go; it is huge and all mirrors and huge speakers....she was sooooooooooo excited, she threw her school bags down and started dancing around the room and screaming! then she lay on the floor and just laughed and then jumped up and hugged me. she has not danced since she was in africa and has felt totally empty. my god, it was so amazing to see her that excited and ecstatic about being able to take this class. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home