Amy's Adventures in Darfur

I started this blog when I left for Darfur in June 2006. I was working as a midwife with MSF aka "Medecins Sans Frontiers" aka "Doctors without Borders" but this blog contains my own opinions and stories- not those of MSF. It is less political than I want it to be and I have been unable to post stories about certain topics due to the fact that this is on the internet and accessible to anyone. I wish I could tell you all of the stories but since I can't, I will tell you the ones that I can...

Friday, August 04, 2006

she

she was fourteen when they invaded her village. she was fourteen when they came in and began to kill indiscriminately. she was fourteen when they murdered her parents and all of her siblings save one small sister. she was fourteen when they raped her. she was fourteen when they impregnated her. she was fifteen when she went into labour. she was fifteen when she pushed for days, to no avail. she was fifteen when her baby died inside of her. she was fifteen when she was finally taken to a medical facility. she was fifteen when they put metal instruments inside of her to crush her baby's skull. she was fifteen when they pulled her baby out of her in pieces. she was fifteen when the trauma suffered during her delivery wore a hole between her vagina and her ureter. she was fifteen when she began to leak urine from her vagina all day long. she was fifteen when her offensive odour turned her into a social pariah. she was fifteen when she started to deny herself water so she would leak less....smell less. she's sixteen and she came to us. she's sixteen and we told her we would help her. she's sixteen and we have set up an agreement to get her surgery in another town, and we will cover every cost. she's sixteen and we went to give her the news she has been waiting a year to hear. she's sixteen and we can't find her and no one knows where she is. she's sixteen and she's gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home