Amy's Adventures in Darfur

I started this blog when I left for Darfur in June 2006. I was working as a midwife with MSF aka "Medecins Sans Frontiers" aka "Doctors without Borders" but this blog contains my own opinions and stories- not those of MSF. It is less political than I want it to be and I have been unable to post stories about certain topics due to the fact that this is on the internet and accessible to anyone. I wish I could tell you all of the stories but since I can't, I will tell you the ones that I can...

Monday, September 18, 2006

el geneina, sweet el geneina

actually el geneina is a total hole, but at least i'm out of habillah! the helicopter arrived yesterday at 2:30pm, (supposed to get there at 9am) so i spent all morning going crazy, thinking it wasn't coming again. when we finally heard on the radio that it was on its way, we screamed and jumped up and down and then i chased our cook around, pinching her butt. having it actually arrive was one thing- the other question was whether or not i was going to get on it. i was so nervous i have no fingernails left. surprisingly, as it was landing, the u.n. woman told us that i was on the list but gustavo wasn't (he who had been waiting since last monday). thankfully the pilot had a different list and we both got on. i was so happy i almost knocked carmenza over when i hugged her goodbye. the part that sucked is that i missed my connecting flight to khartoum. the other part that sucks is that they could only book gustavo on the flight to khartoum today. tell me if this makes sense to you... my flight out of khartoum is tonight and gustavo's flight out of khartoum is tomorrow night. so they book him to fly to khartoum today and me to fly there tomorrow. this means that i miss my flight tonight and gustavo sits in khartoum for an extra day. yeah, makes no sense to me either. the only reason i'm not fighting them about it is because gustavo has been waiting to be with monica since monday and at least he can spend that extra day in khartoum with her. ah, the
sacrifices i'll make for love :) i asked them to try to get me on the standby list today, so we'll see. even if i miss my flight tonight i would rather wait the extra day in khartoum where you can eat good food and sleep in air conditioning.
last night i had the best sleep i've had in the last 4 months. no radio in my room. no one calling me, no one calling carmenza, no one calling the driver, no random crackling static. not a sound. i fell asleep in the livingroom at 8pm, then got up and crawled into bed later. then i slept right through till morning. bliss. i shared my room with two big fat lizards so i felt that it was probably quite spider-free and i slept deeply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home